Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Reading: a Clockwork Orange

After finally reading the book I was shocked on the changes it was compared to the movies. This was one of those moments where I saw the movie first and read the novel later. And here I thought the movie was bad when I first viewed it. The book seems to be more violent and harmful than the film with the drugged and rape of 10 year old girls and the sexually assault and murder. The ending had more of a resolution than the film did with having Alex grow up and learn his lesson rather than just being cured. The scenes while Alex was in prison were painful to read since it showed the results of the  Ludovico Technique. Despite it's effects being harmful I believe that in the future, humanity can create something like this in the future. It's a real literary speculation for events like rape and drugs be common and popular in a alternate like society. While a Clockwork Orange gets praise and a lot of love for it's story and character development it still feels unsettling to me and leaves a bad taste in my mouth for what might come in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment