Thursday, April 3, 2014

Space Opera

I've recently re-read the book "the Stars my Destination" after reading it in high school and I loved the book. The lore, the settings, even the telekinesis amazed me to read it all again. The book was written by Alfred Bester and it was on of the few science fiction books that really connected with me. I felt "this is how a science fit ion book should be written and how to engage with the emotions of the audience."

The story of the book stars Gully Foyle, a man who was abandoned by a ship named "the Vorga" when he was in need of rescue after being lost in space for six months. Enraged he vowed revenge against the ship and that's where his journey began.

It was a little different reading about a space themed adventure filled with plot twist and amazing character development. I never considered this a space opera until rereading it for this class. I've found it weird that I've enjoyed this book so much since I'm not the type of person that is really into soap operas. But with all the twist and love scenarios I'm surprised I didn't pick up on certain events since reading it. The romance Gully has for Olivia, the sexual assault on Robin, the scheming for information. All of it is primary soap opera drama that most who watch them relate to it being a theme.

From what I remember about the book I read in high school was our schools discussions about how Gully's actions were understandable but not heroic. We covered how the audience was viewing an "anti-hero". His morals were questionable but near the end he showed some signs of change and guilt for his actions. Even reading this again it was nice to know that he was interesting to read and even when he did disapproving methods I was still rooting for him one hundred percent.

While it was hard to relate this much with Space Opera, I've found this story a fantastic read and recommend that more people have a chance to read this at least once in their lifetime since I had the special privilege of reading it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment